Monday, August 06, 2007

Stopping the bleeding

I read quite a few blogs regularly. It is really important to me to understand as many perspectives of the Gordian knot that is adoption as possible. Yet, it begs some confusion, at times (please bear with me--these thoughts have not been sifted through for palatability).

(these thoughts pertain to domestic adoption, yet I feel can be extrapolated to IA as well)
  • First/Natural/Birth mothers (and perhaps, I hope, fathers) overwhelmingly desire to parent their children.
  • Copious amounts of manipulation and corruption take place on both an institutional level AND on an individual, person-to-person level to deprive (yes, deprive) Natural Mothers of the children that they bear.
  • There obviously needs to be an uncompromising insistence on ethics in adoption.
  • This would (very plausibly) mean that far fewer children would be "available" for adoption. And that should be OKAY.
  • There are still children who do not have (and I sincerely believe would be better off with) parents, even if because of the manipulation, corruption, social stigmas, poverty, etc, etc, on both institutional and individual levels.

I read once the opinion that adoption was merely a "band-aid solution." I will admit that, at first, I balked. I was very comfortable reading only happy happy adoption travel blogs (okay, I still eat those up like twinkies!), and very comfortable in the idea that, especially as a preferential adopter, I was participating in a sort of "solution" to one of the world's ills. I was, somehow "doing my part." And, maybe I am.

Yet, after more research (much of which underscores the bullets listed above), I certainly can't see my adoption as a direct part of the solution. I guess, now, especially after the impact of so many firstparent, adoptee, adoptee/adoptive parent, and adoptive parent (those forward-thinking souls and some of the less-glowing examples, alike) writings, I persist in seeing my role in adoption (a non-adopted, White preferential adopter) as, at least, a sort of triage--a band-aid. At the risk of sounding trite, symptoms of the ill (the ill being, I suppose, the institutional and social (and other??) reasons first parents are deprived of the experience of raising their birthed children), the tragedy, that creates the situation of adoption still exist. And multi-tasking is a must. I do hope to devote myself as passionately and humbly as possible to directly addressing the ill, as well as, through my own adoption, which I am committed to (and committed to handling/living in an ethical manner), conducting "triage," for as long as it need be conducted.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I struggle with these issues a lot. I adotped because I wanted a child, not because I wanted to save anyone. It never occurred to me to give birth - I am single, and while I know LOTS of women who used anonymous donor insemination, I wasn't crazy about the idea of being pregnant with the baby of a man I loved, forget a stranger! I believe that adopting my daughter was great for me and great for her, but i don't think it did anythign to help Ethiopia. And I worry a lot that she will one day sak me what I have done to help her country. so, I try to get involved in various projects that help those still in Ethiopia. I wish there were not 5 million orphans there. I wish that extended families could all raise the orphans. I wish one in 9 women didn't die as a result of childbirth. i wish these Ethiopian children didn't need to find new homes because their country and families could provide the food, security and healthcare they need. I don't really know how to fix those problems though. It is tough.