Tuesday, August 07, 2007

On the order of yesterday's post...

...I think that investigating, considering, or even hearing the points of view of other members of the Adoption Knot (also known as "the Gordian knot that is adoption") is so tough for so many adoptive parents to engage for many reasons. I think that one of these reasons is simply because, as I felt in my post yesterday (though I admit I didn't convey my confusion very well), admitting that adoption is complicated and oftentimes confusing (and oftentimes downright shady) tests the resolve and the ethics of the aparents involved. To date, nothing has shaken me more than seeing the writings of first parents and adoptees. Although I've come up with the same answer--that adoption is appropriate for me--the thing to note is that attempting to really listen has caused me to reconsider (over and over!) my choice. Most people don't want to do that (especially after they've already done the deed). The last thing they want to navigate is grief on behalf of their child (and hopefully that child's natural family) and possible (if perhaps mis-placed) guilt over what they have already done/are planning on doing in order to have a family.

No comments: