Thursday, July 26, 2007

Today I Realized

Okay, so I actually think of this all the time, I can't lie.

Gosh, my privilege makes it a hell of a lot easier for me to "be"* saccharine and peaceful. Makes me think how much of a shithead I'd probably be if I didn't have the knapsack**.

*I write "be," because frankly I'm not sure if it's being or just appearing this way. I don't idealize "being" a sweet and peace-loving person as such a transient state, and frankly, I have no idea how transient it would be were I not endowed with a knapsack chock-full, frankly, of privileges.

**See
McIntosh, P. (1997). White privilege and male privilege: A personal account of coming to see correspondences through work in women’s studies. In Margaret L. Andersen and Patricia Hill Collins, (Eds.), Race, class, and gender (pp. 76-87). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.

No comments: